The following club rules have been approved by the Board of Management for 2016-17.
1. Club keys
Keys will not be issued to Social members of the club.
If a member does not renew their membership they must return their key to the club. A clearance will not be granted to members who wish to transfer to another bowls club until they have handed in their club key.
A refund of the deposit paid will be made upon the return of a club key.
2. Club hire
Club hire fees will be as follows:
|Full / Life members||Social
|Social members||Other NFP
|Price per head based on requirements (minimum $50)|
|Bar **||$30 per hour (minimum $50)|
* The bond is to be paid in advance and will be fully refunded if all conditions are met.
** The club will provide a bartender. All alcohol must be purchased through the club.
|Weekly club hire
(min. 40 weeks)
|Fortnightly club hire
(min. 20 fortnights)
|Monthly club hire
(min. 9 months)
Bookings must be made five weeks at a time and payment must be made in advance.
3. Financial accounting for events/functions
The club must document all monies received when playing any form of championship event, social day or sponsored day or when holding any function. A record must be kept of each draw (for playing events) and a list must be kept of the names of everyone who paid to play or attend the event/function. Alternatively, an official receipt must be written for every player or attendee who pays to attend that particular function or event.
All monies received are to be banked through the club till. In the case of prize monies a cheque is to be drawn by the Treasurer for the amount required which can then be cashed through the till if sufficient money is available.
This policy ensures there is an official paper trail of any monies received and it will not leave the club open to disputes and/or legal action should there be any problems arising from the distribution or accounting of funds.
4. Sponsorship deals
All sponsorship deals will run from the date of signing for a maximum of three years, but will end on 30 April in the final year of the contract.
5. Sponsorship signage
Sponsorship signage will be offered to sponsors as follows:
- Scoreboard signs ($50 per year). These signs are 50cm x 30cm and are placed at the bottom of the scoreboards at the end of each rink. They will only be visible to bowlers and spectators out on the green but not to the general public.
- Canopy signs ($300 per year). These signs are 230cm x 50cm and are placed on the shade canopies that are arrayed on two sides of the green. They will be visible to bowlers, spectators and guests of the club but not to the general public.
- Street signs – small ($500 per year). These signs are to be a maximum of 250cm x 100cm and are placed on the south-facing wire fence or club-house wall. They will be visible to anyone passing the club, either by foot or by car, but only in one direction.
- Street signs – large ($750 per year). These signs are to be a maximum of 300cm x 250cm and are placed on the east-facing wire fence or club-house wall. They will be visible to anyone passing the club, either by foot or by car, in either direction.
Prices will be reviewed and adjusted (as deemed appropriate) by the Board of Management at their first board meeting after being elected at the AGM.
6. Playing in events at other clubs
Members who play at an outside club event as an individual or in a team are responsible for paying their own entry fees and costs.
If members are selected to representing the Sorell Bowls Club as an individual or in a team in an outside club event, the club will pay the entry fees/costs for that person or persons if written application is made to the Board of Management to do so.
7. Support for representative players
The club will support any financial member who is selected to represent the South and has to travels to the North or North-West to play. The member travelling must present their itinerary to the Board (or the President in cases of short notice) that includes the costs covered by BTS and/or BT, and the level of assistance being requested.
8. Reimbursement of expenses
The Club may reimburse expenses incurred by members or other parties in providing bona fide services to and/or for the Club. The services must be pre-approved by the Board of Management and will only be paid upon presentation of appropriate receipts to the Treasurer.
9. Cost of qualifications
Any member of the club who wishes to obtain any of the qualifications listed below must do so at their own expense even if they are doing so for the benefit of the club.
- Responsible serving of alcohol
- First aid officer
Any member with a qualification listed above who has to renew their qualification may apply to the Board of Management for reimbursement of costs. If they have utilised their qualification in service to the club, the board will approve the refund.
10. Cost of qualifications – officials
The Board of Management has determined that, in terms of rule 10 as it relates to umpires, the process should be that:
- Members who undertake the Markers course must pay the full cost of the course themselves.
- Members who undertake the Measurers course should pay the course cost and seek a reimbursement of half the cost from the club.
Members who undertake the Umpires course can seek a full reimbursement of the course cost from the club.Any member with a qualification listed above who has to renew their qualification may apply to the Board of Management for reimbursement of costs. If they have utilised their qualification in service to the club, the board will approve the refund.
11. Selection of players
Each financial member who pays the BTS capitation fee is entitled to play at least one pennant game per week during the pennant season.
If the member is regularly unable to play on a given day (for example, work commitments) they must be selected on another day unless they advise that they do not wish to play.
If the member is unavailable to play on an ad hoc basis (for example, away on holidays) there is no entitlement to be selected on another day in the same week however every effort should be made to accommodate them.
12. Selection disputes
If a member has a genuine concern about selection they are to discuss their concern with the chairperson of the appropriate Selection Committee. If such a complaint is received, it must be dealt with as quickly as possible. The chairperson is required to interview all parties in order to:
- Fully understand the circumstances that led to the complaint
- Ascertain what resolution is being sought by the person making the complaint.
The chairperson is to ensure they can make or reach a decision that is independent from bias and fair to all players. If they feel they cannot do this, they may appoint an independent arbiter or refer the matter to the Board of Management for resolution. The decision of the chairperson, independent arbiter or board is final.
13. Bereavement guidelines
The Board of Management will appoint a member of the club to act as the Bereavement Officer. Upon receiving advice of the death of a past or present member, the Bereavement Officer will:
- Place a notice in the Mercury (with bowls logo) for any President or Vice-President of the club.
- Place a notice in the Mercury (without bowls logo) for any life member of the club.
- Send a condolence card to the family of a past or present member if an appropriate address is known.
- Send flowers to a maximum value of $50 to a current club member upon receiving advice of the death of the member’s spouse.
The Bereavement Officer will ensure an “in memoriam” notice is placed on the club website as they deem appropriate.
The Board decided that the following policy should apply:
- Alcohol can only be purchased from the bar.
- Unauthorised alcohol cannot be consumed on club grounds.
- Unauthorised alcohol will be confiscated – either by bar staff or any Board member – and returned when the person leaves the club.
- The Board of Management may impose fines/penalties if breaches of this policy are reported.
15. Printer ink
The Board of Management has approved the purchase of replacement printer ink for the Secretary’s home printer as required using the club credit card.
The Board of Management has approved the purchase of replacement printer ink for the Treasurer’s home printer as required using the club credit card.